Dear AAEC members:
We've all been invited to participate in Cartoon the Vote, a new website designed to engage the electorate. Here is some info on how to get involved in this great cause:
What is Cartoon the Vote?
As explained here, the site aims to “draw” visitors into the election by pairing election-related cartoons with links to sites for voter registration, state and local ballots and with information about candidates and key issues.
Sara Thaves, the founder of the Cartoonist Group, started the site. The site will source cartoons from the Cartoonist Group and from you, if you’d like to participate. This invitation is extended to you as a member of the AAEC.
How May Your Cartoons be Added?
There is a two-step process.
- Please e-mail cartoons (high-res, preferably) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sara will review and select from among the e-mailed cartoons. Sara and her team may also reach out to you if they find a cartoon they’d like to include that has not been submitted. Sara and her team will upload and keyword the cartoons so you won’t need to worry about that.
- Before a cartoon is uploaded to Cartoonthevote.com, Sara will send a short agreement for you to sign. The goal? No surprises!
How Will Your Cartoons Benefit?
In a few ways:
- A link to your site or to your syndicate to support your work. For example, the “Go to the Cartoonist Group…”link herewill be replaced by one that says “Go here for more information about this cartoon.” You will tell us where to direct the link.
- You will be listed on this page and will also have a page devoted to your cartoons - such as this one.
- There may be revenue generated from the site - although it is not a guarantee. If so, you will share in that per the terms of agreement Sara will send to you.
The one thing that can be guaranteed is that your cartoons will be presented along with those of your peers in an environment that aims to gain more visibility for the cartoons while also encouraging political participation. A “win-win.”
A Twitter effort to support the site is beginning - and Sara is working with Hannah Thornton for this. You may hear from Hannah if you participate. Hannah has some great ideas for different Twitter-related activities as the campaign progresses.